Tuesday, August 4, 2009

iSkin Review/Clarisonic Dupe

I have been a You Tube guru fan for about a year now and have yet to see anyone discuss the iSkin system from Sally's Beauty Supply. I too, watched the videos about the Clarisonic, but could not justify spending $200 on one product. So my search began for an inexpensive dupe.

My first try was with a product by Artemis Woman that I picked up at Ulta for maybe $10. Let me save everyone some time and money by NOT recommending this product. It was flimsy, the brush head was tiny and it was not water proof. The RPM's were practically null and I was tempted to toss it after one use.

So my search continued. I admit that I would fondle the Clarisonic whenever I found myself at Sephora and even walked around with it in my basket for awhile, but alas, my common sense prevailed. (I find that if I put an item that I'm coveting in my basket and walk around for a bit, I come to my senses and buyer's remorse sets in, which ultimately prevents me from making many unwise purchases. Hey, it works for me!)

During a trip to Sally's I came upon the iSkin facial brush. I was waiting out a rain storm and scouring the shelves in the face products and saw it on the shelf. It looked so much like the Clarisonic that I did an immediate double take. What's this? I picked up the box and looked at the pictures and read the claims, which were very similar to Clarisonic. I couldn't belive it, so I opened the box to get a better look. To my amazement it is the spitting image of the Clarisonic! The brush size is comparable, it's waterproof and has 2 speed settings. I was sold!

The two differences that I noted are the brush is more tear drop shaped, which helps with getting in between the nose and the cheek, and only one type of brush. Clarisonic has different brushes for specific skin types, i.e. sensitive.

The iSkin cost $30, but was on sale for $20 and came with a 2oz bottle of the cleanser. A great bargain in my opinion.

I immediately tried it out and used it twice a day for about 3 days, before the problems started...

I did read the instructions which stated for sensitive skin to lightly brush skin for approximately 30-45 seconds 1-2 days a week. I didn't think it would do it's job in such a short amount of time and thoroughly scrubbed my skin until it tingled. Tinglings good, right? Not really, after 3 days I found that I could not use the brush anymore as my skin was red, swollen, flakey and yucky!! I looked like I had 3rd degree burns on my face!! It took 2 weeks to heal and even longer before I would try the product again.

2nd time I used it as directed and have had no problems at all! I really like the cleanser it came with and have repurchased it already. The fact that I like and can use the cleanser is saying something as I have terribly sensitive skin! Mind you, use a light touch and do not use everyday.

I have been using this for about 4-5 months now and can happily recommend it. It does a nice job of gentle exfoliating if used as directed. I only use the low setting and use a light touch.

Now, to play devil's advocate. Having used this product, I must say that the Clarisonic hype is just that. I enjoy the brush, but I find that acid peel pads do a better job at keeping my skin soft and flake free.

Which leads to the next review......MD Skincare Alpha Beta Daily Face Peel and Dr. Denese Advanced Firming Facial Pads.

Until next time! Keep on smiling!!

1 comment:

  1. Just found your blog while looking for a Clarisonic dupe! Thanks for the review! Please stop by my blog and follow if you like! www.nvbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete